445 Fort Pitt Boulevard, Suite 503
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
412-391-9890 – Phone
412-391-9685 – Fax
Ira Weiss is a nationally known public sector legal authority with across-the-board experience in municipal, education and tax law. His distinguished legal career has resulted in almost four decades of success stories for many of Pennsylvania’s largest public sector entities.
Since 1973, Ira has concentrated his practice on the representation of school districts and municipalities.
Career highlights include:
- Serving as solicitor for numerous school districts, municipalities and authorities in Western Pennsylvania.
- Acting as special counsel regarding tax matters for taxing bodies throughout Pennsylvania.
- Being both deputy solicitor and solicitor for Allegheny County.
- Serving as legal counsel for the Community College of Allegheny County.
- Currently solicitor for the School District of Pittsburgh.
- Participating in several legislative study commissions involving taxation and being instrumental in advancing corrective legislation concerning municipal and school statutory issues.
- A past-member of the Board of Directors of the Education Policy and Leadership Center. A Fellow in the Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County.
- Receiving the 2008 President’s Award for Distinguished Career Achievement in School Law given by the Pennsylvania School Boards Solicitors Association.
Ira was also instrumental in achieving a June 2007 landmark decision after challenging the constitutionality of a Pennsylvania law. The case represents the first breakthrough in a 37-year struggle between elected officials and property owners to create fairness in an assessment system for determining property tax values.
He’s also been named a “Pennsylvania Super Lawyer” each year from 2005 to present in the fields of schools and education. The status ranks him among the top five percent of the 45,000 attorneys practicing in Pennsylvania.